8. Winter Kale Vegetable Stew With Rutabaga Noodles
Yield: 5 servings
Time: 40 minutes
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled, Blade C, noodles trimmed
- 3 cups roughly chopped Tuscan kale
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced sweet Vidalia onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15oz can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon thyme flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup red wine
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and add in the rutabaga noodles. Spray with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place a large pot over medium heat, coat with cooking spray and add in the kale. Tossing frequently, cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Set aside on a plate and place pot immediately back over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil to the pot. Once oil heats, add in the onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, carrots, and celery. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables softens, stirring frequently. If the vegetables stick to the bottom, add a few drops of water.
- Add in the tomatoes, vegetable broth, cannellini beans, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, red wine, cooked kale, season with salt and pepper and stir. Cover, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and let simmer, uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender and stew thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Once the stew is simmering, place the rutabaga noodles into the oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked to al dente. When done, portion into bowls and set aside.
- Once stew is cooked, remove the bay leaf and spoon portions over the cooked rutabaga noodles. Garnish with parmesan cheese, if preferred.
9. Creamy Wild Rice & Vegetable Stew
Yield: 8-10 servings
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
Time: 55 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 3 large leeks (chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 cans (4 cups) chicken broth
- 2 large potatoes (chopped)
- 6 medium carrots (chopped)
- 2 tbsp parsley (minced)
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- ½ tbsp salt
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ lb asparagus
- 1 cup wild rice (cooked)
- ½ lb spinach
- 1-2 cups non-fat milk
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, sauté the onions, leeks and garlic in the 2 tbsp oil until slightly soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the 4 cups chicken broth to the pot along with the potatoes, carrots, parsley, salt, pepper, cayenne and cumin.
- Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce to low and let simmer until potatoes are soft (about 30 minutes).
- Add the asparagus and let the stew continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked wild rice, spinach and milk.
- If desired, add cooked chicken before serving.
If you want a thicker soup, add a small amount of flour to the milk before adding it to the pot.