3. Vegetable Stew With Poached Egg
Yield: 4 servings
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 90g of shallots
- 90g of carrots
- 90g of fennel
- 40g of celery
- 90g of leek
- 90g of courgette
- 90g of broccoli
- 4 tbsp of rapeseed oil
- 1000ml of water
- 90g of fresh peas
- 90g of gem lettuce, sliced into strips
- 20g of spring onions, chopped
- 100g of cherry plum tomatoes, quartered
- 4 tbsp of chervil, chopped
- 2 tsp tarragon, chopped
- 4 duck eggs
- 1 handful of nasturtium flowers and leaves
- 40g of crème fraîche
- Separately, cut the shallot, carrot, fennel, celery, leek, courgette and broccoli into approximately 1cm dice. Try and keep them around the same size so they will cook evenly
- In a saucepan over a low heat, sweat the shallot in the oil. After 5 minutes, add the carrot, fennel and celery and continue to sweat for another 5 minutes, do not allow them to colour.
- Add the water and gently simmer for 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are almost cooked but still a little firm.
- Add the courgette and broccoli to the soup. Cook for a further 5 minutes, then add all the other ingredients and heat through.
- In a wide saucepan, poach the duck eggs for 2–3 minutes in boiling water. Carefully drain using a slotted spoon and transfer to your serving bowl.
- Pour the soup around the eggs in each bowl, decorating with the nasturtium leaves or edible flowers. You can also add a spoonful of crème fraîche on top of the eggs, if preferred. Serve immediately.