1. Savory Meatloaf With Oatmeal
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 large egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic (crushed and finely minced)
- 3/4 cup oatmeal (quick or old-fashioned)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup ketchup (plus more for topping)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or sage)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Grease a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan or meatloaf pan.
- Combine the ground beef, grated onion, egg, garlic, oatmeal, milk, 1/4 cup of ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and sage or thyme.
- Blend the mixture thoroughly but don’t over-mix.
- Pack the ground beef mixture loosely into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes; then remove and carefully pour off any excess grease.
- Spread ketchup over the top of the meatloaf and return to the oven for 15 to 20 minutes longer.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans or broccoli.