1. Slow-Cooker Beef and Vegetable Stew
- 2 T vegetable oil, divided
- 3 lb beef chuck roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1/4 t salt
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 T soy sauce
- 1 1/2 c beef broth
- 1/2 c red wine
- 1 t dried thyme, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 T Minute tapioca
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 large Russet potatoes, cubed
- 3 stalks celery, sliced into 1/4 inch thick moons
- 2 c diced carrot
- 2 c frozen peas
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in medium stockpot until it is shimmering hot. Work in batches and sear beef on several sides, then remove to slow-cooker. After browning and removing all the beef, heat another tablespoon of vegetable oil and then add onions and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to pan. Cook over medium-high heat until onions begin to brown. Add tomato paste and stir constantly for one minute, then add soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, wine and beef broth. Whisk to combine, then pour over beef in slow-cooker. Add tapioca and bay leaf.
- In a separate bowl toss carrots potatoes and celery with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme. Tear a sheet of aluminum foil that is roughly twice as wide as your slow-cooker. Place vegetables on aluminum foil and then fold over, crimping aluminum foil to seal. Put vegetable pack directly on top of beef in slow-cooker. Replace lid and cook on high for 6-7 hours.
- Carefully open aluminum foil packet and stir roasted vegetables along with 2 cups of frozen peas into beef.