1. Veg Kolhapuri Recipe – Spicy Authetic Maharashtrian Curry with Mixed Vegetables
- 1/3 cup Dry Coconut, grated or thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Dry Coriander Seeds
- 2 Dry Kashmiri Red Chilli* (or less)
- 1 teaspoon Poppy Seeds (or watermelon seeds or 3 cashew nuts)
- 1½ teaspoons Sesame Seeds (til)
- 1/2 inch piece of Cinnamon
- 2 Cloves
- 3 Black peppercorns, optional
- Seeds of 1/2 Black Cardamom (or 1 green cardamom)
- 1/3 cup Potato, cut lengthwise
- 1/3 cup French Beans, cut into long pieces
- 1/3 cup Green Peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup Carrot, cut lengthwise
- 1/3 cup Capsicum, cut lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon Fennel Seeds (saunf)
- 1 large Onion, sliced (approx. 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 medium Tomato, finely chopped (approx. 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/3 cup Milk, optional (or 1/3 cup water)
- 1/3 cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander Leaves, for garnishing
- Dry roast all ingredients listed in masala section above (coconut, dry coriander seeds, dry kashmiri red chilli, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, cinnamon, cloves, black peppercorns and black cardamom seeds) in a pan until masala releases nice aroma; it will take around 1-2 minutes. Transfer them to a plate and let them cool at room temperature.
- Add roasted spices in a small jar of a mixer grinder and grind until smooth powder.
- Cut all the vegetables lengthwise. Boil potato, french beans, carrot and green peas in salted water until 90% cooked. They should be crunchy and not mushy after cooking. It will take around 7-8 minutes. (You can also steam cook them instead of boiling them in water).
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan over medium flame. Add fennel seeds and sauté for 15 seconds. Add sliced onion and sauté until it turns translucent. Add ginger-garlic paste. Sauté for a minute. Add sliced capsicum, chopped tomato and salt. Sauté until tomatoes turn soft. It will take around 3-4 minutes. Add masala powder (prepared in step-3) and turmeric powder. Mix well and cook for a minute.
Add steamed/boiled vegetables (don’t add water). If you have not added salt while steaming/boiling veggies, add salt to taste. We have already added salt once in step-5, so add salt according to it.
- Stir and cook for 2-minutes. Add 1/3 cup milk and 1/3 cup water (or use the water drained from boiled vegetables). Mix well. Cook until you get the desired consistency of gravy or for around 4-5 minutes. Turn off the flame and garnish Veg Kolhapuri Sabzi with fresh coriander leaves.