Health News

Advertisement

I'm 101 and have osteoarthritis - but it doesn't stop me pumping weights at the gym for

Streeting under pressure to defy advisors and launch prostate cancer screening programme
Wes Streeting is under mounting pressure to launch a prostate cancer screening programme for all high-risk men despite advisors today rejecting the proposal.
Charities, patients and MPs say the health secretary should 'show leadership' and use his powers to defy the bombshell recommendation from the UK National Screening Committee.
They warn a failure to act now will condemn thousands more men to avoidable deaths.
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in the UK, with 63,000 cases and 12,000 deaths each year - but unlike breast, bowel and lung cancer, there is currently no national screening programme.
Former Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, an ambassador for the charity Prostate Cancer Research, described the committee's recommendation as 'deeply disappointing'.
He added: 'The campaign goes on; we will not give up. No family should lose a father, a brother or a son unnecessarily.'

NHS advisors set to reject prostate screening programme for most men

NHS surgeon urges public not to ignore key symptoms of deadly pancreatic cancer - as eight

Woman, 31, shares how she shed 13.5 stone WITHOUT using fat jabs... and it took her just

BMA union behind doctors' strikes branded 'hypocritical' as staff launch formal pay
The British Medical Association has been branded 'hypocritical' for awarding staff a 2 per cent pay rise while resident doctors strike for 26 per cent.The doctors union heavily criticised the Government when it offered medics a 2.5 per cent uplift, describing the taxpayer-funded boost as 'insulting'.Resident doctors, previously known as junior doctors, have seen their pay soar by 28.9 per cent over the past three years but caused havoc earlier this month when they once again walked out of NHS hospitals for five days in pursuit of another 26 per cent.The repeated industrial action has caused misery for patients who have seen appointments and operations cancelled and care disrupted.It prompted health secretary Wes Streeting to accuse the 'morally reprehensible' BMA of acting like a 'cartel' and of trying to hold the country to ransom over their demands.The BMA now faces a formal pay dispute with the GBM union, which represents over three in four members of its staff.

Mia, 12, was failed by medics before taking her life, inquest finds: Heartbroken mother

Mother, 32, diagnosed with brain cancer after arm tingling dismissed as anxiety

Alternative sweetener used in thousands of every day products is linked to liver disease,

Ancient Chinese exercise could be MORE effective than current NHS treatment for tackling

I was left hospitalized and coughing up blood after I made dangerous mistake using a glass

I lost three stone on Mounjaro and got down to a perfect size 10... but the jabs made my

Five-year-old schoolgirl died just days after having her tonsils removed, inquest hears
Amber Milnes - described as her family's 'magical little princess' - underwent the procedure at the Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro on April 5 2023 due to sleep apnoea. An inquest heard Amber's parents believed she would remain in hospital overnight after the operation due to the fact she suffered from a rare condition which caused her to regularly vomit. However, to their 'surprise', Amber was discharged home hours after the procedure and began vomiting in the early morning of April 6. She was admitted back to the hospital that evening after vomiting 20 times. Cornwall Coroner's Court heard Amber suffered a fatal haemorrhage at about 3am on April 9. Dr Andrew Bamber, a paediatric consultant pathologist who carried out a post- mortem examination, said Amber likely died from a 'massive bleed' after a large blood vessel ruptured at the site of the tonsil surgery, which had become infected. Amber's mother told the senior Cornwall coroner, Andrew Cox, that there had been no discussions with medics about risks and that 'she might die'.

Woman, 30, put double vision down to airplane cabin pressure - but it was warning sign of

Doctors appalled by North West's new body modification warn parents to stop children from

Wes Streeting vows to 'quickly' launch national prostate cancer screening programme if
Wes Streeting has vowed to launch a national prostate cancer screening programme 'quickly' if experts back the move in a crunch meeting this week.The UK National Screening Committee will meet on Thursday to consider the latest evidence on the costs and benefits before issuing a highly anticipated recommendation.The health secretary told MPs he will study the advisory panel's conclusions 'carefully' and thrash out the arguments to 'reach the right way forward'.Although minister typically follow the panel's recommendations, they are not compelled to do so, meaning he could proceed to a launch even if they oppose it.Speaking during health questions in the Commons today, Mr Streeting also praised former prime minister David Cameron for doing a 'great public service' in revealing his own prostate cancer diagnosis and backing screening.

Warning over Black Friday weight loss jab discounts as ONE IN FIVE Britons on the drugs

The incredible NEW weight-loss 'super jabs': They burn weight fast, make you feel full for

Surgeon who performed UK's first successful heart transplant dies aged 93: How pioneering

The most unhealthy Christmas coffees on the high street revealed - with some festive

The scandal of one of Britain's worst mass poisonings: How deadly toxic water claimed

Weight loss jabs do not slow Alzheimer's disease as hoped, causing firm's share prices to

Man, 30, diagnosed with mouth cancer - the only warning sign was recurring bouts of

Why ultra-processed foods should be slapped with graphic cigarette-style health warnings:

These women have lost as much as nine stone WITHOUT jabs: Now they reveal secret to their

Scientists pinpoint the body type which can protect you against brain ageing linked to

How to banish painful night-time cramps with an over-the-counter health supplement that

First men invited to join 'game-changing' £42m prostate cancer screening trial set to
The first men will today be invited to join a 'game-changing' prostate cancer screening trial that will revolutionise care and save thousands of lives a year in the UK.Researchers will compare combinations of the most promising techniques so the NHS can adopt the most effective approach and make 'earlier, safer and more effective' diagnoses.Over 300,000 men will be recruited to the £42million Transform project, which is the biggest prostate cancer screening trial in over two decades.The results will help shape a potential national screening programme for the disease, which affects 63,000 men a year nationwide and kills 12,000.Health secretary Wes Streeting last night said the launch of the trial 'marks a turning point', with the prospect of more patients being diagnosed early when the disease is easier to treat and survival chances are higher.

Experts identify the mineral deficiencies which cause depression - and the dietary changes

Women are hailing 'miracle cure' for painful UTIs - but NHS is refusing to fund it. Here's

Slash your cholesterol by a third in just a month... hundreds of thousands are on a new

Architect of Sweden's controversial anti-lockdown strategy reveals why nation did NOT need

Experts discover there are EIGHT different types of long Covid... do you have any of them?

I thought I had dementia but it turned out to be LIVER DISEASE. Jackie couldn't recognise

Influencer with Tourette's Syndrome sparks debate after posting driving video which shows

I've lost nearly 400lbs without touching Ozempic or counting a single calorie. My clever
   

DON'T MISS

Advertisement
Advertisement