9. Red Wine Root Vegetables Stew
Yield: 2 servings
For the Stew:
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 beets, medium-sized, peeled, and cut into large cubes
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into large bastons
- 2 carrots, medium-sized, peeled, and sliced into large pieces
- 1 spring rosemary
- 1 bay leave
- 1 spring thyme
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons miso paste
- 1/2 cup and 1 teaspoon red wine
- 1 cup and 1 tablespoon water
- 3.5 ounces mini Oyster mushrooms
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 5.3 ounces brown basmati rice or beluga lentils, cooked
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat a bit of olive oil in a sauce pan. Add onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat until soft.
- Add beets, parsnip, carrots, herbs, some salt, and black pepper.
- Add in the tomato paste, miso paste, red wine, and water. Let it simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, until veggies are tender.
- Meanwhile sauté mushrooms in a pan with a bit of oil, about 5 minutes. Add them to the stew just 5 minutes before to the end.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with the cooked rice or the beluga lentils and sprinkle with some chopped parsley.